Thursday, January 24, 2013

Desperate Wax Remover

Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks. I have been busy running around with wedding plans. I haven't even been engaged for a month and I already have my venue booked, my dress bough, a DJ selected and photographer booked :) Not too bad if I say so myself. With my superb organization skills and obsession with timing and schedule, I think I would make a good wedding planner.
But this post isn't about weddings...it is about a new beauty trick I learned today!

For those of you who wax at home, I am sure you are aware of how annoying it can be when excess wax is left on parts of your skin. Not only does it feel gross, the residue makes it look like there is dirt on your skin! Yuck!

For waxing at home, I normally buy the Veet facial wax strips from the drugstore ($7), which comes with 12 waxing strips. I find it to be way more cost effective to wax my own upper lip at home as opposed to paying $10 each time at the salon. I will only do my eyebrows at the salon because they can shape them better than I can, and that is worth the $10 each time. But for upperlip, no way.

Anyways, the thing that always bothered me abou these Veet waxing strips is that the box comes with 12 ready to use strips but only 3 wipes. The wipes are the most important piece of the whole process because they remove all the excess wax from your face once you are done. Since they only give you 3 wipes, I am forced to reuse them. I find it very odd that they do this because the wipes are filled with aloe vera oil, so when you take them out of the packet to use, the oil dries up very quickly and the next time you want to use it, it is old and dried out and there is no oil to pick up the excess wax.
I once called in to the company to complain about this...it's kind of like the hotdog and hotdog bun conundrum....why sell a pack of 12 hotdogs, but then only sell 8 buns? Of course no one ever called me back, but maybe there is something I am missing or doing wrong. Is there a special way to keep the aloe oil locked into the wipe after every use? If you know, please let ME know too because this is beyond annoying.

So today I used the last wax strip in the box and of course my wipe was dried out and useless in getting the wax off my face. I scrubbed and scrubbed my face with all my might but no luck, all I was left with was a big red irritated face...with the dirty wax bunching together and looking like dirt. I googled how to get rid of the wax and found a forum that said baby oil would work. Unfortunately I did not have any baby oil in the house and I was getting impatient so I grabbed the next best thing: Hair Serum! Yep. Hair Serum! That's all that I had that was close enough to baby oil. I figured that since the serum is oil based, it would work in a similar fashion. To my relief, after pumping some serum onto a cotton ball and rubbing it over the wax, it all came off nice and smooth. It felt like I had just went to the salon. The hair serum I used was one I had bough at the Superstore, from Organix. The one I bought was "Pomegranate Green Tea". It's nice and light and I use it frequently for my rough and staticy hair. At least now I have another use for it....Excess Wax Remover.

Desperate times call for creative measures...and this was definately a desperate time. Having sticky wax on your skin is never fun so if you plan to wax at home make sure you have some remover on hand.

So that is my big tip of the day. Do you wax at home? What are some things you do to take the wax off?

No comments:

Post a Comment