Sunday, April 15, 2012

Product Review: LUSH shampoo and conditioner

I think I should just dedicate this blog to reviewing products, because it's no secret that I am a product junkie! No word of a lie there are 5 shampoos in circulation in my shower right now. So let me take the time to review just a few of some noteworthy ones!

Since I moved to good old Bradford, I have noticed the water is very harsh. I find myself washing it almost everyday, which causes it to be even more rough. I googled a few hard water shampoos, but couldn't seem to find any, except for one at Lush. So when I went to Lush a few weeks ago, I was sad to learn that they only sell the hardwater shampoo online and not in store. However, the sales lady introduced me to some similar products that she said could acheieve the same results as the hard water shampoo.

Let me start off by saying that, I had no idea Lush sold hair care products. I assumed it was all soaps and bubble baths, but was interested when I saw the variety of hair care items they did sell. What really impresses me about this store is that everything is hand made and reasonably priced. There are no harsh chemincals or weird ingredients that you can't pronounce in their products. Once I learned this, I was more intrigued.

So I had a look at all the shampoos, and noticed a lot of them were in bar form! Not even in a bottle! I was curious as to how this would work in your hair. The lady explained that one bar (which is around 11 dollars) can last up to 3.5 months! For each wash, you just rub the bar on your scalp 3 times and then lather. She reccommended I buy the "Trichomania" shampoo bar, which contains coconut that helps put moisture back into the hair (perfect for my bleached out locks!) I was sold!
But of course you can't buy a shampoo without conditioner right? Right! So for conditoner she said one of their top sellers was "American Cream" which contains honey, lavender and oranges. It claims to make your hair more bouncy, shiny and tame. It also smells amazing so I purchased a small size bottle to test it out.


It's been about two weeks since I started using both these products and I can't say that my hair is more healthy (I blame the bleach), but it does feel fluffier! And they make my hair smell almost like baby powder.

I like using the bar shampoo, it is different and 3 strokes on the scalp is plenty for one wash. Just make sure you lather a lot, and don't forget to rinse out thoroughly.  The only downfall is if you are travelling away for a night or two, it is kind of hard to transport and pack. But not to worry, Lush sells shampoo bar holders! I don't think I would purchase one though unless I was going away for a week!

While at Lush, I also purchased one bottle of their dry shampoo, "No Drought". (In an attempt to stop washing my hair everyday!) It is a powder based formula with lemon and lime oils combined with corn flour and talc. It has a nice citrus smell and there is a lot that comes in the bottle (which is around 13 dollars). I think this product works great as a day after shampoo, but with my hair I think after 2 days, my hair really needs to be washed. Depending on how oily your hair gets, this product is good to touch up on those small oily patches that come usually 1 day of washing. All I do is shake out some powder on my hand and then scrunch it into the spots where my hair has the most oil. It works well especially on blonde hair, since it is white in colour and kind of camaflouges in.

Since I purchased so many items at Lush, the sales lady gave me a free sample of their "Rehab" shampoo (liquid shampoo) which is meant to tame unruly, abused hair. She only gave me enough for one use, and I really liked it, I think it did more for my hair than the "Trichomania" did. Just because it is meant to restore and repair as opposed to just making it feel nicer. I think when I go back, I will just get the Rehab shampoo instead of the bar, at least until I stop bleaching it.

And that is my personal review on some of the hair care products from Lush.


*Please note these are my personal opinions based on personal use. I am not a hair care professional or am not affiliated with Lush.




1 comment:

  1. I agree, you should keep doing reviews!

    And I love that their products don't use harsh chemicals! I'm always a fan of that!

    ReplyDelete