Sunday, May 13, 2012

Beauty Boxes - A Product Junkie's Dream Come True

I read an interesting article in Maclean's magazine last night about this new trend of "beauty boxes." (Sorry I couldn't find the article online to share with you).

A beauty box is filled with sample sizes of various beauty products sent to you once a month in a nicely packaged gift box. In order to receive the boxes, all you have to do is subscribe for a set fee each month (depending on the company it can range from $10-$15).

The article questions why people would want to pay for such a service that you can essentially get for free by going to the makeup counter at the mall. It all comes down to convenience and marketing. When you go to the mall, no one is going to package up your samples in a name encrusted personalized and decorated box. And who doesn't like receiving fun mail!? I love getting packages sent to me via mail. It's a nice change up from the stream of bills that's for sure! And again, it allows you to try some high end products that you would never think of even samlping.

This is not only a product junkie's dream, but a marketer's dream as well. Before signing up for your subsciption, you are prompted to fill out information about yourself and your beauty preferences. It's a win-win situation for all.

 Luxe Box and Glymm are two of the biggest Canadian companies new to the international beauty box scene. With Luxe Box there is apparently a waiting list to join. I wonder if it is a long waiting list, or just a short one to build up the hype, like the way Pinterest has done. Glymm offers different subsciption plans of monthly, 6 months or yearly.

These beauty boxes have sparked a sort of subculture of beauty junkies world wide with subscribers sharing their box opening experiences on YouTube. The Luxe Box website even has a bunch of these videos posted on their "Testimonial" page.

Here is an example of one of the videos:

After reading all this and watching some of these videos, I can't say that I am not intrigued. And I think to myself, "What's $10 a month?" But then I think about how quickly I will get bored of the boxes, and how annoyed I will be with a big collection of empty boxes. The good news, is that I could unsubscribe whenever I want. So maybe I will give this thing a try, just for a few months at least :) I do find it cool that they will send me products pertaining particular to my skin and beauty needs. And on the plus, I will be able to use some of these products for my blog reviews.

Since Luxe Box has a waitlist, I may try Glymm first. I can't wait to get my first box of goodies!!!

What do you think about these boxes? Will you subscribe to or do you think it's just a marketing gimmick?

4 comments:

  1. Tasha - I'm so glad you posted this! I too have been hearing about these lately and as a bit of a product-whore have totally been considering it myself. It's definitely a marketing gimmick, but a SMART marketing gimmick. I put my name on the Luxe waiting list and will let you know if I go through with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes let me know. I put myself on the list too, the Glymm one was giving me problems at sign up.

      Delete
  2. Tash, I just signed up for Glossybox! They started in the UK, then hit the states, and started in Canada in February! Their subscription rates jumped from 2000 to 8000 in two months!
    They have at least 5 products every months, 3 of which are full sizes - not trials, and they sometimes personalize the box to your skin type, hair colour, etc.. super excited for my first box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I just checked that out. Looks sweet!! Maybe I will sign up for that one instead. The full sizes make it sound even better!! :)

      Delete