Sunday, June 9, 2013

New Obsession: Sid Dickens Memory Blocks

As some of you know, I moved into a brand new house last winter with my finacee. If you have ever bought brand new before, you know that the house comes very plain! No curtains, no paint, no nothing. It is basically like buying a doll house, and you have to put all the finishing touches on it yourself. While some people may enjoy this, I find it a hastle because you have to start everything from scratch. And starting from scratch usually involves a lot of money!
Needless to say, we still have a lot of interior decorating to do!

For the longest time, we have been trying to find a large painting to fit our dining room wall. It is big, empty and looks sad. It's been tough trying to find the perfect piece of art to hang up....until now!

Last week, while I was visiting the lovely Unionville, Ontario, I popped into a chic home décor store to have a browse around. I noticed at the back of the store, they had a mural of beautiful ceramic tiles made by the name of Sid Dickens. I was immediately drawn to them due to their unique character and lovely, eye catching designs.

These ceramic tiles are called memory blocks. They are small rectangular shaped pieces that are collectibles made right in Vancouver, BC. If you have a collection put together on a wall, they look fancy and beautiful. Each piece has a specific meaning or story behind it which I find really interesting.

I didn't purchase any memory blocks  while in Unionville, but I did grab a catalogue sheet of all their latest tiles to peruse at home. When I visited the website over the weekend, I was instantly hooked and decided that we would have a Sid Dickens Memory Block mural on our large empty wall!

The fun part about these blocks is that they are meant to be collected. (They are rather expensive so buying a whole lot of them at once would be a bit ridiculous). They don't sell them in many stores, but you can purchase them easily on the company website or search for local retailers near by.

I was able to find a store that carries the collection at a home décor store in Newmarket, Ontario called Eqionoxx. Today after I went to the gym I went to check them out. I was in love with the mural they had created behind the cash register and simply couldn't resist buying my first piece.

There are many that I like, but my first block had to be the "Pierrot" cat, simply because it reminds me of my little feline, Felix. The "story" written behind the block also made me chuckle because it is Felix to a tee:

I am but a fool
playing only for your love.
Spare me your applause,
kind madam;
One caress will be enough
 

So this is the first block for my mural collection! I can't wait to get our next one. I will definitely be adding these to my wedding registry wish-list.

If you are looking for some unique decorating fun, check out the Sid Dickens website.

No comments:

Post a Comment