Monday, November 19, 2012

Avon Maven!

A few weeks ago I found an Avon catalogue at the edge of my driveway and took it inside for some browsing. I have never ordered from Avon before, but I have heard good things about some of their beauty products.

If you’ve ever ordered from Avon before, I am sure you probably get excited and a bit overwhelmed with all the selection they have. It’s almost like being in the drugstore, except you don’t have sales associates looking at you like an idiot when you are pacing up and down the aisles trying to make a purchasing decision.
Anyways, I needed a few items so I thought; why not try a few Avon products just to see what they are like. I felt like I was creating my own Glossy Box kit, so fun and exciting! After a couple browses through the catalogues, I finally decided on the following items:
 
Berry Berry Nice Red Lipstick – I have been looking for a nice bright red lipstick for the holiday season and when I saw the colour on the model in the catalogue I thought it looked nice and ordered that same colour she was wearing , Berry Nice. It is very bright and I like it a lot. Red lips are very classy and I can’t believe I never take the time to put on a coloured pout. It will be perfect to wear for those holidays parties coming in the next few weeks.
 
Avon Illuminating Face Perfector Primer – In the past I have used many primers – Cover FX, Smashbox, The BodyShop Mattifying Lotion and they all do a good job at prepping my face for makeup. This one is pretty good and it also has an SPF 15 in it which is a bonus. I like the way it glides on my face and gives a bit of a glow. I would definitely try this one again.
 
Hand it Over Handcream Set by Mark – With the colder weather, I find my hands get very dry and I needed some new creams. I actually bought this set of 3 by Mark to give one to my boyfriend since his hands are worse than mine, but he didn’t like the feminine scents. (Vanilla Cream, Plum Berry and Jasmine Petal)  I was impressed with the size of these creams, I was expecting them to be super small, but they are pretty decent and they smell amazing. All 3 for $8 were a great deal. They are perfect to slip into your purse.
I bought a few other items like a scarf and lip balms as well, just because I couldn’t resist.
 
The lip balms weren’t as good as I thought. The one had some colour to it, but when you apply it on, it is really cakey and dries my lips. I definitely wouldn’t buy that one again.  
 
So for those of you who have never ordered through Avon before, all you have to do is call or email the Avon sales rep who has their name and contact info tacked onto the back of the catalogue and let them know what you want to order. (It is usually someone who lives in your neighbourhood). Then, once the order is placed, the Avon representative will let you know when your order arrives and arranges for a good time to meet or drop off your products. Just note that Avon accepts cash only, so if you place an order, make sure to put the cash aside.
My cat, Felix loves when the Avon lady brings us products!
 
I received my order this past Saturday and was so excited. It reminded me of getting a Glossy Box, all my items were packaged in this nice big brown grocery bag, with my order receipt inside.
I loved opening everything up, even though I already knew what I was getting. There was even a nice little freebie in there of some body lotion and spray which was a nice surprise. Maybe it was some sort of first time customer special? Or maybe I get free stuff all the time! I will have to let you know on my next order…which will probably be real soon since I just ran out of foundation and bronzer, and Avon has an amazing deal on their foundation makeup.
Free!
 
I like Avon at this time of year because there are about 5 different catalogues in circulation right now….oh the choices!! It really is like shopping, but without all the sales pressure. There are also a lot of great deals in there right now for the Christmas season that I fully intend to take advantage of, like buy 1 get 1 or 2 for the price of one type. I will let you know when my next order comes in and I will review those items as well.
Have you ever ordered through Avon? What are some of your favourite beauty products?

3 comments:

  1. My mum use to get AVON all the time when I was a kid. Now, as sad as it is, I see it as an older lady product. Which I shouldn't! When I was getting a mani/pedi at the spa this time last year, a woman told me that AVON isn't for the old anymore. Their nail polish is the best! I should probably give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I used to associate Avon with an older crowd. But they have definately changed. Especially now that they offer "Mark" Lauren Conrad's brand. It has really shaped up!

    ReplyDelete